Some of our pupils have been benefiting from having weekly sessions in Drum Therapy. These pupils were identified by their tutors in accordance with the ECHP outcomes. Students then had trial sessions to see if they suited the intervention. Those currently engaged in Drum Therapy have enjoyed sharing their new skills with tutors and peers a like. We have observed a significant change in pupil self-esteem and confidence as well as improvements in concentration and coordination.
Drum Therapy® combines the principals of physical and cognitive functioning, and the art of drumming. It is used as an intervention to provide the special needs community with the opportunity to participate in creative, verbal, and non-verbal expression. Doctors, Psychologists, Neuroscientists, Occupational Therapists, Physical Therapists, Behavioural Therapists, and Special Education Teachers use Drum Therapy® to help children and adults with Autism, Dyslexia, Multiple Sclerosis, ADD/ADHD, Cerebral Palsy, Dyspraxia, ODD, Aspergers OCD, Tourette’s, Behavioural Issues, and other physical and developmental disabilities to develop Retention, Social Skill Interaction, Coordination, Self Esteem, Behavioural Modification, Sensory Integration, Fine Motor Skills, and Physical and Cognitive Functioning.
It combines visual, rhythmic, auditory, and verbal approaches to help participants meet the goals and objectives for improvement in fine motor skill, and physical and cognitive functioning. Participants grow both cognitively and emotionally, and gain self-esteem through the creative process of Drum Therapy®.
Drum Therapy® helps participants to learn problem-solving strategies, improve patience and perseverance, helps to develop coordination and retention, and nurtures social skills, sensitivity, cooperation, and conflict resolution. It’s non-threatening, fun nature, makes it appealing to all age groups. Participant’s music abilities and works are not graded, and program modalities are specifically tailored to meet the specific needs of all participants.
Drum Therapy® helps all participants to:
1. Improve ability to identify feelings and behaviour.
2. Improve communication skills.
3. Channel cathartic release, or discharge strong feelings, safely through rhythm.
4. Gain valuable insight into their feelings and maladaptive thoughts.
5 Demonstrate improved fine motor skills, retention, and coordination.
6. Demonstrate improved psychomotor skills.
7. Demonstrate improved social skills through a combined group effort activity.
8. Gain self-esteem and self-confidence by being a major part of an artistic project.
9. Demonstrate improved frustration tolerance.
10. Develop personal expression through the creative art process.